Monday, July 12, 2010

And so it begins...

Recently on Facebook I happened across a post. It was a typical link to a typical article. What caught my eye first in the headline was the use of the word "WASP." Then, upon further inspection I noticed the word "decline." Little bit like “Dog Bites Man,” especially considering the source (New York Times, need I say more?) but I have to admit I was intrigued.

What followed was an interesting op-ed piece which ballyhooed the decline of the White Anglo-Saxon Protestant, using the recent shift in the Supreme Court as a backdrop. Curious, I read on (link at the bottom of my post).

My original assumptions, along the lines of praising the decline of the WASP as the bearer of all things diseased, self-promoting, and inherently evil, were met happily with a more sincere appreciation which touted the very inclusion and non-discriminatory practices which are the hallmark of WASP-culture.

The trumpeting of this decline, it appears, is proof the Protestant Work Ethic actually did what it set out to do - build a nation where merit was rewarded, effort compensated accordingly, and work was a God-given obligation that tended the soul and elevated the culture.

I agree with the premise. Inclusion has not always been the bellwether of the WASP among those subscribing to the conventional wisdom but I will perhaps argue this point at a later post.

What I will fight, one blog post at a time, is the continual assault on the traditions and values and character of this great land. Any God-fearing man or woman places value on effort, diligence, and discipline. Those attributes should be rewarded and praised regardless of race, creed, or color.

I will remind those who have benefited from these graces, the value we place on these ideals are mutual.

The WASP’s kindness should never be confused with weakness.

I hope you like my blog and return often!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/28/opinion/28feldman.html?pagewanted=2&ref=opinion

No comments:

Post a Comment