Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I have had the "opportunity" to travel quite frequently for business and pleasure over the years. I could fill a book with stories and experiences I have had on and in and around planes.

No experience comes close to what I had this past week. When I checked in the seat next to me, in the exit row, was blocked. It is a fairly common occurrence, one of the few benefits of frequent travel. After boarding, however, I noticed an obviously Middle-Eastern young man, probably 25 at the most, who was confused about the seating arrangements, what aisle was where, where the lettered seats were. Eventually he figures out he’s in the seat next to me. "Hmmm, last minute purchase," I think to myself.

And then the series of events continues… A phone call is made. A conversation is initiated. Soon I realize this is not so much a conversation, but a monotone statement, almost being read or recited, and in Arabic. This continues. Four minutes. Five minutes. “Sir, will you please turn off your cell phone?” Six minutes. “Sir, we are trying to take off.” We are taxing now. Abruptly, in the middle of his sentence, he turns the phone off.

I am not going to lie, at this point I am nervous. I eyeball our row-mate, on the window. We immediately read each other’s minds. I turn and lock eyes with the men across the aisle from me, both of which were already looking our way, intrigued to say the least. Again, minds’ were read.

At that moment, the prayers started. Now I’m a little more than nervous. We have mumbling prayers, bowing at the waist, starting after straightening of the clothes, squaring himself and his feet with his body, and continued bowing at the waist, continued mumbling Arabic.

I play dumb and interrupt. “Excuse me, do you need something?” Young Arab continues to look straight ahead, praying, bowing. “Excuse me, are you OK?” No answer. After 2-3 minutes, he does look my direction as I am staring at him intently, and does speak. “I’m sorry, I was praying.” “Oh, really, OK, praying for good things, I hope?” “Oh yes, very good things.”

Yes, we made it to our destination safely. Yes, perhaps my nervousness was slightly unnecessary. But if you are Muslim in America, I’m sorry; your brothers have cost you the right to pray, out loud, bowing, in Arabic, on a plane. You lost that right on 9/12/2001. If you want to say your prayers in private, fine. If you want to pray to yourself, as I do on every flight, great!

Similarly, if you are Muslim in America you lost the right to build a mosque at Ground Zero. If you are a religion of peace, if the majority of hardworking, honest Muslims are peaceful and seek to be good neighbors, would a good neighbor cause such an outrage?

Ask yourself, would the Nazi Party build a historical center at Auschwitz? It is equally offensive that we, now as the assimilationists, as the democrats, as the most forbearing people ever assembled, must now push our tolerance to this level.

I trust the people of New York and the processes in place will put an end to this affront.

No comments:

Post a Comment